I built some surfaces that could be projected on and used for prototyping installations.


  • White Coroplast sheets
  • Drills and drill bits
  • Sanding Paper or Sanding Machine
  • Glue Gun
  • Ban Saw
  • Stanley Knife aka. Exacto Blade
  • Gridded cutting board

Once I had the materials, I had to spend time measuring and drawing lines in the Coroplast to start cutting up the faces that would be used to assemble the surfaces.

This was challenging, due to the size of the Coroplast sheets that I purchased and the limited space I had access to in ITP’s fabrication shop. I found that my results were improved as soon as I started orienting the ruler and the tape measure with the assistance of a gridded cutting board.

Another challenge is accounting for the various ways that the box overlaps and underlapping at its edges. I settled on the following dimensions by taking into account the thickness of the material (0.157”):

  • 6”x6” (Left and Right)
  • 7”x6” (Front and Back)
  • 7.314”x6” (Top and Bottom)

Once the lines had been drawn, I started cutting up the board with the blade. Better results were achieved when cuts were proceeded by a single, light handed incision.

I threw together a little ‘pancake’ with Hot Glue to get a sense of how my calculations were stacking up.

I decided to cut up some wood cubes to give the structure better support at its corners.

I used the Ban Saw to cut up a piece of scrap wood.

A vice came in handy to work with some of the irregular combinations of pieces.

The pieces were assembled together with hot glue.

The pieces were arranged and tested with Touch designer.


While Coroplast is cheap and works well with projectors; introducing it into a Fabrication process introduces some constraints. The flexibility (amount of ‘give’) of the material makes it difficult to work with saws. The flammability prevents use with lazer cutters.

The Stanley Knife (Exacto!) requires some skill and getting used to, but once practiced provides a great deal of control and precision. With further practice, more advanced surfaces for projection mapping could be designed and implemented with such techniques.

The next blog post will detail experimenting with magnets to make these surfaces both modular and compose-able.